NUMSA rejects wage offer‚ bus strike will intensify says union

Image by: Mark Smyth ‏@Motorscribe via Twitter
South Africa’s crippling bus strike looks set to continue as the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa rejected a 9% across the board wage offer on Wednesday.

NUMSA’s acting national spokesman‚ Phakamile Hlubi‚ said that employers had requested further negotiations but “those talks have broken down‚ leaving us with no choice but to continue our strike action”.

Anxiety‚ delays and simmering anger as nationwide bus strike bites

The strike‚ which entered its first day on Wednesday‚ has caused anxiety and inconvenience for local and long distance bus commuters across the country.

According to the union‚ the latest offer by employers was a 9% across the board wage increase‚ overtime pay for drivers after working a 16-hour-shift‚ a 10% night shift allowance increase and a 10% cross-border allowance increase.

“As NUMSA we reject this offer with the contempt it deserves. The fact that employers are not willing to offer a double-digit increase‚ and are unwilling to pay the co-driver for his or her services when they are not driving is simply a disgrace‚” said Hlubi.

The union vowed to intensify its strike action. It also criticised the proposal by employers to pay drivers overtime after a shift of 16 hours had been worked‚ saying this would put lives at risk.

Leave a Reply