SABC confirmed that a letter requesting the termination of their partnership with The New Age business breakfast had been sent to the Gupta owned company.
The broadcast agreement between the two parties had been running since 2011.
“The intention of what was announced was not to get into the contract, it was to say to you as the public, that the SABC interim board has written to the other party of the contract, which is the TNA, to say we are not able to continue with the contract as it stands,” said SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago.
According to Kganyago, the SABC has decided that the broadcast of the breakfast on Friday, 9 June, was its very last.
“Obviously we are waiting for them to respond to us because we have given them indication that we are unable, as an organisation, to continue. And one of the things that are very clearly indicated [in the letter], is the fact that we cannot afford to continue with this contract,” he said.
“We are unable to because we do not have the money to do that. It’s the cost to us, therefore we are unable to continue with this contract but we cannot preempt what is going to happen. At the moment our position is that we are unable to continue with this contract.”
Asked about the reports that the now fired chief operations officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng increased the number of broadcast breakfasts from five a year to 45, Kganyago said he did not want to get into the details of the contract.
Eskom’s spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe said that Eskom’s sponsorship contract with TNA business breakfast ended in April.
The power utility’s then interim chief executive Collin Matjila signed, in 2014, a R45-million deal with TNA to sponsor its business breakfast.
Phasiwe said that the contract served its purpose and that its continuation would amount to wasteful expenditure.
“The intention and purpose of the deal was met because at the time we were encouraging people to reduce consumption. We achieved our objectives and we are moving on,” said Phasiwe.
By Kgothatso Madisa, Tiso Black Star Group