St Andrew’s in tough competition at Grey Water Polo Festival

LAST weekend the St Andrew’s U14A, U15A and 2nd teams headed to Port Elizabeth, to attend the annual Grey High School water polo club festival.

The St Andrew’s U14A water polo team were ebullient about their achievements at the Grey High School water polo festival last weekend

The teams would play some tough opposition in Grey High School, Pearson, Selborne College and Paul Roos.

This was the U14A team’s first outing under the tutelage of Graeme Lucas-Bull. The team started with a comfortable win against Pearson U14A 11-5. Up next was Paul Roos from Stellenbosch and Selborne from East London, with both matches being physical encounters – the St Andrew’s U14 boys lost 9-5 to Selborne and 5-3 to Paul Roos. In the team’s last match for the weekend, coach Lucas-Bull’s team were charged up and played some clever polo to out manoeuvre Grey High School U14A team to win a historic match 6-5.

Richard Leach of the St Andrew’s College U15A water polo team playing at the Grey High School water polo festival

The St Andrew’s U15A team also had a fantastic start to their 2018 season, as the boys scored an uplifting 8-2 win against Pearson. The Selborne U15A team was their next task, which the team met head on. The St Andrew’s boys led 2-0 after the first chukka however the Selbornians were not going to roll over and they slowly clawed their way back into the match to snatch a narrow victory 5-4 against St Andrew’s U15A. The team then produced a great performance to draw 4-all against a fast and physical Paul Roos side. Buoyed by the U14A result against Grey, the U15A team did not disappoint and in a fantastic match, the St Andrews U15A managed to beat Grey U15A 5-4.

The St Andrew’s 2nd team started strong with comfortable wins against Pearson 8-3 and Selborne 7-3. Next up was Paul Roos, and the team started slowly and found themselves trailing 6-2 at half time. With some inspiring words from coach Ross Daly, the 2nd team turned back to life and started to push their Stellenbosch opponents. In the dying moments Paul Roos scored the winning goal to hand the St Andrew’s boys their first defeat 7-6. In the team’s last match they played an ever confident Grey 2nd team, it was a well-balanced match but Grey ran out close winners by 5-3.

Overall it was a fantastic start to the water polo season for all the teams concerned.


Leave a Reply