The charred body of a man found in the boot of a car on Sunday belonged to an SANDF soldier who was sent to Cape Town as part of Operation Lockdown.
Western Cape community safety MEC Albert Fritz said on Friday the body belonged to a 41-year-old soldier.
Two men were arrested in connection with the murder this week after fire and rescue services personnel extinguished a burning Hyundai parked in Silversands Road, Mfuleni.
“As per protocol, the vehicle was searched and a body burnt beyond recognition was discovered in the boot,” said Fritz. “The scene was handed over to SAPS for further investigation. I commend the SAPS on the arrests made so far of a 24-year-old and a 43-year-old suspect.
“We cannot tolerate such a gross disregard for the peace and safety of the people of our province. We cannot allow gangsters to intimidate and terrorise our communities, particularly those that are most vulnerable.”
Fritz called on the police to determine whether the murder was gang-related, and to “ensure the arrest, conviction and incarceration of gang leaders who may have given the directive to kill a soldier”.
He added: “The SANDF have been deployed to assist us in safeguarding the province and we must do everything in our power to support them.”
BY ARON HYMAN AND DAN MEYER- TimesLIVE
Source: TMG Digital