FOLLOWING recent extensive repairs to the Wheel, Bradshaw’s Mill is being opened to the public with no entry fees between 10am and 4pm on Sunday March 5.
This Provincial Heritage Site in Bathurst is one of the jewels in the Eastern Cape. Built between 1821 and 1829, it operated as a woollen mill until it was burnt down in 1835. It remained derelict until 1859 when it was purchased by Philip Hobbs and then converted to a grain mill.
The mill operated for about 30 years until it was abandoned. In 1965 the derelict site was bought and restored by the Simon Van der Stel Foundation. In 1970 it was declared a National Monument.
Major repairs and renovation were undertaken in 2014 by the Lower Albany Historical Society and the Rotary Club in Port Alfred. Last year major repairs to the wheel were again required. This was undertaken by a dedicated group of volunteers with the help of local donors.
To celebrate the reopening of the wheel the mill will be open to the public at no entry cost on Sunday March 5.
Visitors are encouraged to go back in time and take a picnic down to the mill and enjoy a peaceful glass of wine.