Robben Island tourists rescued after terror in storm-tossed Table Bay


Panicked tourists in life-jackets were stranded on a sinking Robben Island ferry for almost half an hour on Friday afternoon before being rescued and taken to shore.

“I thought I was going to die‚” said Brazilian tourist Natalie Jabour. “It was the worst experience of my life.”

Sixty-eight tourists and crew were caught up in the drama after the passenger ferry Thandi nose-dived into a large swell in stormy conditions about halfway between Robben Island and the mainland.

Emergency procedures were activated and passengers huddled on the listing deck until the rescuers arrived. Everyone was safely transferred onto a larger passenger ferry‚ Madiba 1‚ which was on her way back to the mainland.

“One passenger from the ferry Thandi‚ a female‚ was transported to hospital by ambulance in a stable condition suffering from back pain‚” the NSRI said in a statement. Another passenger from Madiba 1 was transported to hospital suffering from anxiety.

Visibly shaken passengers disembarking at the ferry service main jetty at the V&A Waterfront‚ where they were given blankets and debriefed by Robben Island Museum officials. Some of them spoke to journalists afterwards‚ describing their ordeal.

“The wind was very hard‚” said Jabour’s husband‚ George. “She [my wife] asked the pilot of the boat is it safe. He said yes‚ yes. But in the middle the water came into the boat.

“Another five or 10 minutes and we would have had to jump into the water. It was very tough.”

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

He said he had not expected such a major adventure so soon into his South African visit. “I’m going to my hotel drink a good glass of wine.”

The NSRI said the South African Maritime Safety Authority would investigate the incident. “Efforts are being made to recover the ferry‚” the NSRI said.


The stricken ferry is owned by Nonkululeko Charters. In an ironic twist‚ the rescue ferry Madiba 1 struggled to get the necessary permission to enter the service. It was unable to withstand the rough conditions due to its size.

“The rescuers did a good job – it was a great effort‚” said Madiba 1 skipper Trevor Lloyd.

By: Bobby Jordan

Source: TMG Digital.

Leave a Reply

More like this

The ACDP’s Lance Grootboom On the Spot

Struggling to decide who will get your vote on...

Snakes hard at work for the environment

PIET MARAIS THE Ndlambe area, ranging from Alexandria to the...

Don’t take risks in this week’s extreme weather – NSRI

In collaboration with the South African Weather Service (SAWS),...