UPDATE: 24 Becker Street fire

Date:

24 Becker Street ablaze.

NDLAMBE firefighters battled a raging fire at a home at 24 Becker Street this evening.

According to the owner of the property, the tenants had turned on a small gas heater, for which they had purchased a new gas bottle yesterday, and the gas bottle exploded, causing the fire.

The tenants are safe but are in hospital for the night where they are being treated for shock. Their pet cat was also saved.

A furnished home has been secured for them to move into tomorrow as they lost everything but their vehicles in the fire. The tenants were unable to save any personal belongings before fleeing, said the property owner.

According to the owner of the home, the fire and emergency services were called at 6.05 p.m. Witnesses said the local fire department had been busy fighting another fire so could only send a bakkie until their truck arrived at around 6:30pm, at which point the home had already been engulfed in flames. Police were already on the scene.

Community members rallied together to help rescue the vehicles.

This is a developing story, see TotT for further updates. 

BREAKING: Port Alfred home ablaze

Leave a Reply

More like this
Related

The ACDP’s Lance Grootboom On the Spot

Struggling to decide who will get your vote on...

Snakes hard at work for the environment

PIET MARAIS THE Ndlambe area, ranging from Alexandria to the...

Don’t take risks in this week’s extreme weather – NSRI

In collaboration with the South African Weather Service (SAWS),...