Mighty Forest felled by Cosmos FC

Mini tournament sees eight teams clash

PREPARED TO CONQUER: Cosmos Football Club conquered all opponents they came across in a football mini tournament last weekend. They walked away with R1 600 while the runner-up team got R800 Picture: TK MTIKI

NEMATO local football teams held a mini tournament last weekend which was won by Cosmos Football Club in the final against Mighty Forest.

After a 1-1 draw over the 90-minute game, it proceeded to a penalty shootout where Cosmos FC defeated their opponent by 4-3.

Eight teams took part in the tournament.

The final match was characterised by lots of energy and intensity. Both teams started the game on a high note and appeared evenly matched.

The first ten minutes of the game clearly showed that both teams were determined to win, with different game plans displayed on the field of play. Mighty Forest, which seemed to be the better team, scored first in 15 minutes of the second half with its unique style of playing short passes which made them a dominant team in positions.

Although they owned the ball most of the time because of playing short passes, they struggled to penetrate a disciplined Cosmos FC defence again.

The clear indication of this was the lack of creating scoring opportunities with only two clear chances created in the entire 90 minutes. In those two chances Cosmos FC goal keeper Mhlangovuyo Jiki appeared to be a superhero with two saves he made.

Cosmos FC on the other hand stuck on its game plan of playing long balls on air the whole 90 minutes. It had two sprinting attackers which could be something that influenced its game plan. After trailing one-nil behind Forest, their game plan that yielded an equalising goal just two minutes before the end of the game.

A long ball was played from the centre of the field straight to the striker that was tripped inside the 18 area box, denying an attacker a scoring opportunity. The referee did not hesitate to give a penalty against the offender. Simisikhaya Mlamla took the penalty and buried it at the back of the net. This must have been a bitter pill to swallow to Mighty Forest considering that it was the dying moments of the game.

The finalists then proceeded to penalty shootout where it was captain vs captain at the Cosmos FC net. The Mighty Forest captain’s first kick was saved by Cosmos FC’s captain Jiki.

He saved another, winning the game for Cosmos.

Leave a Reply