The Gauteng roads and transport department is shutting down certain taxi routes in Johannesburg from Friday, following a spate of crimes.
Gauteng roads and transport MEC Ismail Vadi said on Wednesday: “Practically, what this means is that specific taxi ranks and routes in Soweto will be shut down from Friday morning, March 15, for three months until June 15.”
The regulations were published in the provincial gazette in an effort to clamp down on the conflict between the Witwatersrand African Taxi Owners’ Association (Wata) and Nancefield Dube West Taxi Association (Nanduwe).
Vadi said: “It is necessary to shut down their minibus taxi services for the safety of commuters and residents of Soweto.”
The department said five murders, five cases of damaged property and one of public violence had been opened since the start of 2019.
“Furthermore, on March 11, about 300 drivers purportedly linked to Wata and Nanduwe unlawfully blockaded with their vehicles the Johannesburg CBD, thereby creating a gridlock and disruption of traffic in the city centre for several hours.”
Anyone contravening the regulations could go to jail for six months or be fined R25,000.
Here are the ranks and routes which will be closed:
- Makhetha Stores – Central Western Jabavu: John Page Drive and Main Street Jeppe Station Taxi Ranks. From Mphuthi and Limakatso streets continue towards Elias Motsoaledi into Machaba Drive, turn right into Nxumalo Street to Dube Station taxi rank, turn into Ncube Drive, turn left into Mahalefela Road, proceed to Pela Street which then becomes Khumalo Street;
- Mofolo Sizwe Stores taxi rank: John Page Drive and Main Street, Jeppe Station Taxi Rank From Mphuthi Street (c/o Mphuthi Street and Banda St), continue Machaba Drive, continue Mwasi Street, turn right Mzilikatse Street, turn left Mncube drive, turn right Mtipa Street, continue Sobuza Street, turn Right Butshingi Street, turn left Mtipa Street, turn right Kumalo main road, continue Sofasonke Street, turn left Mooki Street, turn right Soweto Highway, continue Pat Mbatha Bus and Taxi Way, continue Pat Mbatha Bus Way, continue Busway, continue Bezuidenhout Street, turn right Market Street, continue Interchange, continue Commissioner Street, turn right John Page Drive, end (c/o John Page Drive and Main Street);
- Kwa-Mthetwa Stores (Machaba and Nxumalo Streets) – Mofolo: John Page Drive and Main Street, Jeppe Station Taxi Rank From Mthetwa Stores (corner of Machaba Drive and Nxumalo Street) turn left into Nxumalo Street, proceed to Dube Station Rank and turn right into Ncube Drive, turn left into Mahalefela Road, proceed to Pela main Road, then Pela becomes Khumalo Street proceed over Klip Valley Road to Sofasonke Street;
- Dube Station Taxi Rank: John Page Drive and Main Street, Jeppe Station Taxi Rank Street From Dube Station Taxi Rank (Leselinyane Street and Ncube Drive) proceed to Mahalefela Road, turn left into Mahalefela Road, proceed to Pela Main Road, then it becomes Khumalo Street, proceed over Klip Valley Road to Sofasonke Street; Makhetha Garage (Pela and Mahalefela Road) John Page Drive and Main Street, Jeppe Station Taxi Rank From Makhetha Garage (Pela Main Road) proceed to Khumalo Road and proceed over Klip Valley Road to Sofasonke Street; and
- Uncle Tom’s Hall (Orlando West): John Page Drive and Main Street, Jeppe Station Taxi Rank From Uncle Tom’s Hall in Khumalo Street proceed over Klip Valley Road to Sofasonke Street.
BY NICO GOUS- TimesLIVE
Source: TMG Digital