Family loses everything to fire in new Kenton RDP home

IT is a sad story that is told too often, but last week the Zamani family, recipients of the Kenton-on-Sea’s new RDP housing project, were distraught at losing their home and all its contents in a fire that completed gutted the building.

BURN THE HOUSE DOWN: Due to a domestic fire caused by a paraffin stove, the Zamani family, inset, is now without a home, the house now but a burned-out shell. From left the Zamani family are Sandiswa, Akhona, Ntomzawa, Sihle and the youngest, in front, Athabile Picture: ROB KNOWLES

Sandiswa Zamani was busy cooking on a paraffin stove due to the gel for the bio-stove running out – a substance that apparently is brought to Ndlambe from KwaZulu-Natal, and therefore had no way to replenish their supply.

Sandiswa was forced to escape the flames by climbing out of a very small and narrow bathroom window as the house only has a single point of ingress and egress – the front door.

Should anyone wish to assist the Zamani family with food, clothing or any other help, Kwekwani can be contacted on 078-820-1950. Alternatively, items may be left at the Talk of the Town offices to be collected by the family.

Read the full story in this week’s Talk of the Town.

Leave a Reply