I HAD to have a giggle at the whiny little dig at the riparian owners in Van der Riet and elsewhere.
A couple of facts for you to ponder:
- The municipality decided years ago that they were not interested in the towpath and it deteriorated into a mini-jungle.
- We could not get them to regularly mow so we took to doing it ourselves either via a garden service or on our own – bottom line, we pay!
- If it were not for our continuous maintenance of the public open space, you would have the weeds a metre high and filled with duwweltjies – we pay!
- Most of us use weed-killer regularly to keep the grass alive and the thorns dead – we pay!
- The jetties that you want to use were built and paid for by us. The municipality is not interested and I don’t blame them as upkeep is awful – bottom line, we pay!
- The jetties have gates to prevent kids from playing on them and possibly falling off and being injured. If we’re sued – we pay!
- We are not keen on people using the jetties as they leave the gates open and the wind then breaks the gate – we pay!
- On top of that they leave all their muck on the jetty, including old bait, hooks, rocks and the like.
- I do agree that the rotten jetties should be repaired or removed.
So now you know.