The Randfontein mother who was arrested for allegedly burning her two children, aged five and seven, after they ate her chicken meal has been granted bail, West Rand police said on Friday.
Sgt Carmen Hendricks said the 27-year-old appeared in the Randfontein Magistrate’s Court on Thursday – two days after she was arrested.
“She got bail of R1,000 and her next court date is the April 30,” said Hendricks.
The terrible ordeal allegedly endured by the children was discovered this week as they returned to school.
Their teacher discovered that both of them had burn wounds, which were reportedly caused by an iron, on their hands.
Police later discovered that the children also had burns on their thighs.
“We found that this was all because the children ate her KFC,” Hendricks had told TimesLIVE on Tuesday.
The children had been handed over to social workers while their mother was taken in for questioning. It was not immediately clear on whether the court had made a ruling on whether she could make contact with the children pending the finalisation of her case.
The woman faces charges of child abuse and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
Source: TMG Digital