SERENDIPITY – Cock’s Mill on the Kowie River

HISTORIC TREASURE: Cock’s Mill pictured in a photograph from 1911

Cock’s Mill on the Kowie River

Serendipity with Bev Young

THERE is so often a surge of interest in the notable landmarks/artefacts of the village.

As residents we become immune to them, as their beauty is constant. However, for visitors, their interest is new, and they want to know more.

After all, we are a vital segment of the 1820 settlers.  We are the ambassadors for the town, it is therefore important, that we know our beauties.

When you look at the building that was Cock’s Mill now, one sees the gleaming white mill that bears little resemblance to this particular phase in our history.

Cock’s Mill went from as it is now to all sorts of changes, even a boarding establishment at one stage with a strange veranda sticking out front upstairs.  As a flour mill the chapter was short-lived, although it served the purpose. It was constructed in 1840.

Leave a Reply