Serendipity with Bev Young
THE photograph this week might seem familiar to the residents of Trappes Valley.
As a historical treasure for our region, it is an unacceptable loss that this structure has deteriorated rapidly over the years.
Richardson’s Mill was constructed in 1831 by Stephen Gradwell and changed hands to Thomas Foxcroft in 1844, to William and Joseph Wright in 1852, to John Richardson in 1857 who owned it for many years, until its last owner, Jack Ansley.
Rumour has it that bee/honey seekers accidently set fire to the mill. The interior of the adjacent house was solid yellowwood, which naturally burnt ferociously. On March 13 1970, within hours, the mill was a smoking ruin.
Many of the mills in this region suffered a similar fate.