Recalling the original use of the piers

BEACH PARKING: An old photograph showing cars parked at the West Pier, circa 1930

Serendipity with Bev Young

THE two piers in Port Alfred, east and west, were constructed in an effort to create a harbour, thereby encouraging trade.

But they had a short-lived history for their intended usage.

Once the rail opened up the ships ceased to arrive here, after a mere 20 years. It is one of those tragic oversights in history, as other than East London, only Port Elizabeth and Cape Town have river mouth harbours in South Africa.

Leave a Reply