The racial hatred incited against whites during xenophobic attacks in South Africa is unacceptable and of grave concern, agricultural union TLU SA said in a statement yesterday.
“Even though the exact motives of groups like the BLF and EFF are uncertain, it is clear that they are spreading racial hatred against whites and even goes as far as them saying violence against white people is justifiable,” said Louis Meintjes, the president of TLU SA.
“The leaders of the BLF and EFF, Andile Mngxitama and Julius Malema, as well as the Secretary-General of the ANC, Ace Magashule, are the ringleaders with their comments encouraging supporters to instead attack white South Africans rather than black foreigners,” TLU SA said.
Mngxitama threatened that “they” will one day turn against whites and will blame the white minority for “their” poverty. He said the looting and riots were a dress-rehearsal for the civil war against whites.
Malema encouraged his “African brothers and sisters” to redirect their anger towards the “owners of wealth – the white, monopoly capital”, while Magashule denied that xenophobia was the reason for the riots because whites weren’t attacked.
“Murders on farmers are three times greater compared to murders on the average South African,” said Meintjes. “Many farm murders can be attributed to the irrational hate for white people preached by these so-called revolutionary groups.
“Resistance against these groups’ ideologies and physical assaults are of the utmost importance to TLU SA,” he said. “Because irrational ideology is part of the attack one cannot oppose it as you would oppose any other assaults.”
TLU SA said its ‘Stop the BLF’ campaign was not aimed only at leader Mngxitama, but at an irrational revolutionary ideology which promotes hate and violence against white people.
TLU SA has a five-point strategy to withstand the attack:
- Live in peace with South Africans who do not support the irrational ideologies. Build bonds with South Africans and find solutions to cure this debilitating illness together;
- Influence those who subscribe to this ideology to not get caught up in it. “We use our unique positioning in rural areas where the revolutionary ideology is festering, spreading a positive message” TLU said;
- “Because an ideology based on hate is not allowed under law, we make use of all legal remedies applicable to withstand the drivers of these ideologies”;
- TLU SA strengthens its safety structures to stop those already putting the racial hate ideology into acts; and
- TLU SA shows the irrational revolutionary thinking to the rest of the world and encourages international pressure against it.