Serendipity with Bev Young
ON July 15 1823, Captain Thomas Cowdery was granted land between High Street and the first kloof to the north and down to the Kowie River bank in the south.
In 1834 Kowie House was built and was probably used as a temporary barracks during the 6th Frontier War, which was fought between 1834 and 1835. The house, situated on 80 acres, comprised seven living rooms as well as a kitchen and two cellars. In addition stables and servants quarters were erected.
The roof was constructed of slate which was used as ballast for the ships that travelled from Britain. The house built of stone, presumably from the same stone that was used to build the canals the banks of the Kowie River.