WATCH LIVE | Various ministers give update on Covid-19

Ministers representing the Covid -19 national command council will on Saturday give an update on developments of the pandemic.

The number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in SA has increased to 1,170.

Minister in the presidency Jackson Mthembu said on Friday evening that health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize had asked him to relay the figure.

Earlier on Friday it was announced that two people had died as a result of Covid-19, the respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus — a 48-year-old woman and a 28-year-old woman.

However, health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize admitted that this was wrong, and sought to clarify the information that was initially provided.

He said that the 48-year-old woman had tested positive for Covid-19, but the 28-year-old was a “suspected case based on her clinical presentation”.

“The clinicians who were treating her have reported to us that this was a 28-year-old female who had presented at the hospital in respiratory distress. At the time of presentation she was hypoxic. She was intubated and transferred to hospital during the early hours of this morning [March 27 2020 at 3am). On arrival in ICU, she was declared dead.

“The clinical picture was suggestive of Covid-19 and, therefore, a test was conducted. Her laboratory results have since been received at 5.20pm and were confirmed negative. Her immediate family was also tested and they are also negative. She is therefore no longer considered a Covid-19 case.

“This therefore means there is only one confirmed death caused by Covid-19 in SA,” said Mkhize.

Leave a Reply